[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Subject:  Re: Re: [m0n0wall] Set media type
 Date:  Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:39:45 -0500
On 2/26/07, mick at deathnet dot id dot au <mick at deathnet dot id dot au> wrote:

> It would be nice still, to have a drop box in the web interface to selected a fixed media
> type between switch and nic.
>
> Anyone see any issues with this idea?

The consensus from past discussions here is that it's best to leave it
hidden, because autonegotiation and fixing speed/duplex is widely
misunderstood, and in most circumstances people shouldn't be messing
with it. Putting this in the GUI is likely to make people who don't
know any better think "oh yeah, I want 100 Mb full duplex" while
leaving their switches or other equipment (modems, routers, etc.) on
auto, and hence ending up with a duplex mismatch.

-Chris