[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.3b2 wireless not automatically associating with hidden SSID
 Date:  Thu, 01 Mar 2007 11:42:15 -0600
Kimmo Jaskari wrote:
> On 3/1/07, Bussell, Ken <KBussell at eprod dot com> wrote:
>
>> When trying to connect to the Cisco Access point I really need to
>> connect to that has a hidden SSID, I get the status of "no carrier". If
>> I turn the broadcast of the SSID on, it will connect up right away. When
>
> Turn the SSID broadcast on.
>
> It doesn't add any meaningful levels of security anyway, just the way
> MAC address filtering doesn't. Both those are easily worked around by
> anyone who really wants to break in to your system.

It keeps Windows Zero brain Config from automatically connecting.  It
keeps out the first pass of idiots.  And it is considered a legal
safeguard.  Meaning if someone hacks past WEP and hidden essid, and
commits illegal acts, you can not be said to have "allowed" the act.  I
think this is a real bug, and should be addressed.  That said, I use 3rd
party flashed WRT54GLs for bridges.  Better management.

			Lee