[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hangs - solved
 Date:  Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:04:39 -0500
On 2/28/07, Mike Mee <mikemee at gmail dot com> wrote:
> After running 10+ m0n0wall gateways on Wrap and Soekris hardware that
> never required rebooting over a period of several years, we installed
> one recently that has hung twice in 2 weeks.
>
> The biggest difference is the sheer amount of traffic, much of it P2P.
>  We have traffic shaping on, but no vlans, no captive portal, not much
> at all.
>
> What is the latest thinking on the most stable version to run in this scenario?

Is it *really* freezing, i.e. if you hook up the console is it
completely dead? If not, it could be that the state table is exhausted
and new connections fail while existing ones are OK. Another
possibility is too high of load for the hardware, you don't mention
how much bandwidth you're talking about. Could also be bad hardware or
a bad power supply (relatively common on WRAP and Soekris gear).

If it is the freeze issue some run into, 1.3x has been reported to not
have the issue.

-Chris