[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 6Wind 6WindGate
 Date:  Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:44:38 -0600
Timothy Taylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was rather surprised to discover a firewall that has an astonishingly
> similar interface to m0n0wall
> <http://www.6wind.com/PDF/prod/web-management/license.html> but without
> any credit to Manuel et al. Should I be disturbed or surprised? I
> haven't actually used the product, I just came across the pages during a
> Google search on "snmp firewall rule".

Flagrant license violation.  From the m0n0wall license page;

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

They are in clear violation of #2.  Manuel has them by the balls.  I
think he can get damages, and force them to notify all customers. :)

			Lee