[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] hardware support / Software question
 Date:  Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:12:47 -0500
On 2/28/07, krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com> wrote:

> It's also generally a bad idea performance wise. The NAS Statefully
> inspecting it's own NAS traffic takes a fair amount of resources above
> what the file transfer itself takes in addition to adding latency...

Indeed, with file transfer alone, you'd be lucky to get 60-70 Mb out
of a Celeron 433. Add firewalling and it'll get a little worse.
Specific numbers can vary drastically depending on the specifics of
the hardware, especially NIC chipset, but in general I wouldn't expect
much out of such a low power piece of hardware. I wouldn't even
consider building a NAS out of something that slow, people throw away
much faster hardware than that. It'd be a fine firewall though.

-Chris