[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 and squid
 Date:  Sun, 4 Mar 2007 21:54:23 +0000
Henning,

        please don't bother to copy mails to me and the list, just the
list will do (I read them all).  Also, please configure Thunderbird to
send plain text messages only to the list.  And finally, please try not
to top post as it's very easy to lose the thread of messages. Otherwise,
please find relevant comments below:

In message <45EAA9E0 dot 9000906 at gymszbad dot de>, Henning Andreseck
<AndreseckH at gymszbad dot de> writes
>Thank you very much Neil,
>so for option c i only need one interface, is that right? im new to
>this, sorry. But i'm reading the Squid-Handbook :)
>so i will try option c.

That's correct.  For example - if your LAN is 192.168.0/24, your
m0n0wall is 192.168.0.1 and your proxy is 192.168.0.2 then all of your
clients will need to point to 192.168.0.2:3128 (assuming squid is
running on the default port).

You can then either set the rules as follows:

Allow 192.168.0.2 to go to port 80 on the Internet
Deny everything else

or

Deny !192.168.0.2 to port 80
Allow LAN to Internet

It very much depends on how you want to configure things.  I'd use the
first in a corporate environment (everything that isn't allowed is
denied) and the second in a home network where I don't mind my clients
going directly for non-standard ports, etc.

Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wpad for detailed
information on WPAD and the external links give further information.

HTH,

                                Neil.