[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kimmo Jaskari" <kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.3b2 wireless not automatically associating with hidden SSID
 Date:  Thu, 1 Mar 2007 13:53:09 +0200
On 3/1/07, Bussell, Ken <KBussell at eprod dot com> wrote:

> When trying to connect to the Cisco Access point I really need to
> connect to that has a hidden SSID, I get the status of "no carrier". If
> I turn the broadcast of the SSID on, it will connect up right away. When

Turn the SSID broadcast on.

It doesn't add any meaningful levels of security anyway, just the way
MAC address filtering doesn't. Both those are easily worked around by
anyone who really wants to break in to your system.

WPA-EAP is the only meaningful security level you should be concerned
about. If you have that properly set up, you are a hard nut to crack
already and can sleep soundly at night.

It makes no sense to turn off features like SSID broadcast that can
cause problems connecting - I've seen it in other gear too, had the
problem at home with a mobile device for instance. Sure, you add a
smidgeon of protection against pure "tourists" trying to connect to
random networks in that they can't even see it, but anyone who really
wants to break in will hardly even be inconvenienced. Meanwhile, your
gear doesn't even work right for you.

Just my opinion, obviously.

--
-{ Kimmo Jaskari }--{ kimmo dot jaskari at gmail dot com }--

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people
very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
  - "Hitchhikers Guide", Douglas Adams