[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Soekris/RADIUS
 Date:  Mon, 05 Mar 2007 18:21:16 -0600
Hart, Benjamin wrote:
> I realize this is probably off-topic somewhat, but after an fairly
> exhaustive Yahoo'ing I am still dumbfounded.  I was wondering if anyone
> knew if a simple RADIUS server could be loaded and ran from a 4501?

Yes.  You would need a real hard drive, not a CF card, as continuous
writes would rapidly destroy the card.  You would install the Linux
flavor of your choice and add freeradius to it.  It would not be very quick.

> I already have 1 4501 running m0n0 but would like to incorporate RADIUS if
> possible and at the present time I do not have a full pc for use as a
> server.

This would be a lot tougher.  first, you would have to expand the disk
image considerably to "install" free radius.  This would expand the
memory footprint, and the 4501 has limited memory.  Also, since m0n0wall
loads the entire config at boot and runs from memory, and any logs or
configuration is lost at each boot.

You best bet is to find another PC at that location or somewhere on the
internet and load freeradius on it.  It is not a big deal for a real PC
to have it added.  You could use a home PC even, if you just leave it on.

			Lee