[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  "Alex M" <radiussupport at lrcommunications dot net>
 Cc:  "'Mono Dev List'" <m0n0wall dash dev at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>, "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Support for hardware project
 Date:  Tue, 6 Mar 2007 02:01:22 -1000
On Mar 5, 2007, at 4:49 PM, Alex M wrote:

> Good got one person on my side :-)
> I actually want this type of pricing for the project:
>
> 75 - Board
> 10- Power supply
> 15 - Enclosure
> Total: 100$ USD (could be less is retailers would go w/ lower margin)
>
> At than same time I want to negotiate w/ manufacturer so retailers
> would buy
> form them bulk at $50 per unit sale for 75 => margin 25 or 33%
> (Netgate and
> Ituner what do you think? [Sorry for no names :-P you should know me
> though])I will have to speak to you though so we would agree that
> you buy
> enough so manufacturer will give us that discount

I'd answer, but ... that would be commercial, and this is a non-
commercial list.

OK, the straight answer: we were already talking to them.  (which is
why I pointed out that Valemont is not a great source for the board.0

> Next, why I also want to have mono-AP project is because AP/Bridge and
> router have different purposes, but I can stick with regular mono
> conversion
> and then push the AP project.
>
> As to the part that "krt" wrote... I don't really care about
> collective
> bargaining on Mini-PCI cards especially low level such as Intel-BG
> 2200 they
> too weak for enterprise use... go with 400-800mW cards.

800mW cards?  Nobody makes one of those in "commercial" quantities.
(There may be some in a lab somewhere.)   If you retort with
"ubiquiti" I will openly laugh.  (You've been warned.)

We've just invested a lot of time (and sat on several hundred boards
while the FreeBSD developers got support in -CURRENT and
then MFC-ed into 6.2, after supplying them with a set of zero-margin
boards, so quite a bit of money) getting support for the ixp42x
Xscale going.   Gateworks builds a single miniPCI board that is
approximately 'right' for a single-radio AP, so thats the current
strategy.

Until I get that shipping, I'm not going to invest much more than
'talk' in getting the WP54 running.

You may wish to take a serious look at how much of m0n0wall you're
going to be able to squeeze into that 4MB flash on the WP54, and how
well
FreeBSD is going to run in 16MB of memory.  Oh sure, you can put more
dram on the board, but it won't cost $75 then.

Jim