[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Paul Taylor" <PaulTaylor at winn dash dixie dot com>
 To:  "Ronald L. Rosson Jr." <ron at oneinsane dot net>, "Benjamin H. Henry" <ben at magothy dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Soekris/RADIUS
 Date:  Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:01:57 -0500
I've looked at Zeroshell also, with the idea of using it as a radius
server for a WPA/WPA2 Enterprise authentication system, but there is
almost no documentation on how to use the system.

The web interface is very unlike Monowall, in my opinion.  It really
looks like what they have done is written a nice interface to a lot of
linux tools, but didn't put much work on integrating them, to make it
easy to use.  Don't get me wrong - This looks like a major
accomplishment, but to a non-linux person, you'd probably be pretty
lost.  (I admit, if I were to try to use it as a firewall, I could
probably have made it work, but for my purposes, there was nothing that
I could find.)

When asking about using it for wireless authentication on their forum,
the answer I got back was basically "the radius server included supports
WPA".  I mentioned that if they had some detailed dev docs, they could
probably get lots of help from people like me...  But, I don't think
they ever responded to that post.

The documentation that Monowall has is amazing compared to any other
free system that I've seen, especially the developer docs.  Why, before
I started working on Monowall, I had barely (if at all?) used FreeBSD.
The dev docs for Monowall walked me through the entire build process and
had enough background info on the way there that I could actually learn
enough about what I was doing to be dangerous...  (Thanks Chris!)

Paul