[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1.3b2 wireless not automatically associating with hidden SSID
 Date:  Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:41:41 -0800
SSID broadcast control can prevent unwanted automatic associations in
a crowded environment.

In other words, if you have a device that can see two broadcast SSID's
at the same time, it will connect to only one of them.  You can set
preferred networks, but as soon as one leaves, degrades, etc. your
device will automatically associate to the other one.

Have you ever hopped onto an open network and used it for a while,
then it suddenly dies?   You might find that you've actually just
reassociated to a neighboring AP but for whatever reason their network
prevents the access that you were using, or at least has no knowledge
of your previously active IP sessions.  In this scenario, SSID
broadcast control has been used for a valid purpose.

Disabling SSID broadcast for the purposes of security will 'stop the
junk mail' but it won't stop someone from finding your network and
certainly won't prevent someone from joining it.