[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  multiple subnets on single LAN interface?
 Date:  Tue, 6 Mar 2007 15:02:42 -0700
I'm not sure if I'm going down a blind alley here, but it seems to me
there must be a way to access a subnet other than one's own without
crossing the firewall. Here's my m0n0wall's basic setup:

WAN: static public IP address
LAN: 10.0.0.1/16, running dhcpd

Our clients all get IPs from the LAN dhcpd.
Meanwhile, our equipment all have static IP addresses on the subnet
172.16.0.0/16. Currently, to connect with a piece of equipment one
must change one's IP address manually to the 172.16/16 subnet. Is
there not a way using static routes to maintain one's 10/16 address
and have the m0n0wall redirect 172.16/16 requests to the appropriate
equipment on the LAN? I tried adding a static route thus:

172.16             172.16.0.1         UGS         0      126    [LAN]

but no dice. I tried a similar entry, using 10.0.0.1 as the gateway,
but nothing still. Is this possible? Can somebody point me to a
resource if it's not a simple fix? Please don't tell me to change my
equipment to the 10/16 subnet, as we're talking about ~300 items here.
I'll consider that a last resort, along with manually changing my IP
to the 172.16/16 every time I want to have a look.

Thanks,
db