[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  "Alex M" <radiussupport at lrcommunications dot net>
 Cc:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: [m0n0wall-dev] Re: [m0n0wall] Support for hardware project
 Date:  Tue, 6 Mar 2007 17:43:38 -1000
On Mar 6, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Alex M wrote:

>>> But you're the one that proposed using VIA boards and second-source
>>> ethernet cards and wanted to make the centerpiece of the discussion
>>> "price".
>
> No, that was Lee talking about VIA board, I only concerned about price

K.

>>> I presume that the members of the list want to discuss the
>>> development of m0n0wall, and do NOT wish the discussion to devolve
>>> into a "general solutions for service providers list"
>
> Well I say there is a big cance to end up with Intel CPU that
> doesn't not
> support X86, in that case even if we can get the board for $20,
> some one
> would have to put all mono files on another version of BSD, so that
> would be
> a developers part too. And, and if there will be no one willing to
> do that
> the search for better pricing will do no good as community wont get
> the
> benefit if they can not install mono on it.

Are you saying its a big 'chance' (risk) to use an Intel CPU that
doesn't execute x86 instructions, or that its a big "change"
to do so?

Did you know that support for the Intel ixp42x CPUs (specifically the
gateworks boards) has been MFCed to FreeBSD 6.2?
http://freshbsd.org/2007/02/26/23/13/10

The biggest problem now is getting the requisite packages to go
through a cross-compiler (harder than it looks) or to build a native
"build" environment.   Currently I'm getting one of these to run
FreeBSD 6.2:  http://www.intel.com/design/storage/sb.htm

Though the Freecom box could be interesting as well.

Running a native build environment 'fixes' the issue of getting the
various packages to run through a cross compiler, modulo byte-
ordering issues
possible for some things.

pfSense is being put on the Avilia boards.   I fully expect that
m0n0wall will follow.   Since most of the Avila boards have a CF
socket, and since the work has completed to allow the FreeBSD kernel
to boot from the on-board (non-CF) flash, installing pfSense (or
m0n0) will be no more difficult
than loading a CF with a pre-compiled image and using tftp to load
the kernel in the on-board flash.

Eliminating the CF socket (with a custom m0n0wall image) and tftp-ing
that into the on-board flash (assuming it can be made to fit in 16MB)
would allow the use of freebsd/m0n0 on the single-socket Gateworks
board.

Jim