[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bill Cavalieri <bill at lumensoftware dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Windows PPTP Clients
 Date:  Thu, 8 Mar 2007 01:05:17 -0600 (CST)
----- Pete Klein <petek1827 at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> What interface is 192.168.2.1 on?

192.168.2.1 is my monowall lan facing ip.

>Do you have more than a LAN and WAN interface on your monowall?

No this box is only capable of 2 nics.

> How is 24.94.165.25 getting assigned? Is it hard set in
> Windows or coming from monowall?

This is a good question....

In my monowall "General Setup" screen, I have 24.94.165.25 and 24.94.163.34.

I don't have any hard coded dns entries in windows, when not connected via pptp, I only have
192.168.0.1 for my dns.

I am using the dns forwarder on the monowall.  But using an external dhcp server, that only delivers
192.168.2.1 for dns.

So it looks like monowall pptp is handing out the 192.168.2.1 and then one of the dns entries from
the general setup screen?

> I'm guessing but I would suspect Windows is for some
> reason unable to use dnsmasq on 192.168.2.1 (and thus
> unable to use internal names)and is falling back to
> 24.94.165.25 (and grabbing external names instead).
> If you temporarily disable assigning 24.94.165.25 does
> DNS still work?

I'm not sure how to go about disabling 24.94.165.25 from being assigned.

Here is where it gets weird, running nslookup, I get the correct internal ip address.  But when
using anything else, it's resolving to the external address.

I have for a test, hard coded 192.168.2.1 as the dns server for this pptp connection, now I only see
192.168.2.1 in ipconfig for the pptp connection.  But it would appear that windows is checking my
local network dns first, before checking the pptp dns.

I wrote a program that uses the windows networking api, and do some ip lookups.  I see it time after
time, hitting the local dns, then the pptp dns.

I'll have to figure that mess out then.  Looks like this is all windows problem.

Thanks for the help.

-Bill