[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  LEE Tet Yoon <leety at ihug dot co dot nz>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Rules and NAT
 Date:  Thu, 08 Mar 2007 21:45:33 +1300
At 05:19 p.m. 8/03/2007, you wrote:
>On 3/7/07, LEE Tet Yoon <leety at ihug dot co dot nz> wrote:
>>
>>Actually it isn't uPNP altho m0n0wall doesn't support it either and you can only have one
>>port to two hosts simultananeously. Check out
>>http://portforward.com/help/porttriggering.htm or
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_triggering to find out what it is and how it works...
>
>Sort of like uPNP, though there aren't nearly the number of practical
>uses for triggering as there are for uPNP.
>
>I assume the "you can only have one port to two hosts simultaneously"
>was a typo, it can also only open a port to one internal host
>simultaneously.

Yes I meant to say you can't have one port to two hosts simultaneously. While it doesn't have quite
the same uses as uPNP, it's arguable more secure since you still have to manually configure the
ports. Although now that I mention that, I think I remember there are certain routers with more
robust uPNP implementations which don't just allow anything to open up any port. Instead I think you
can limit the ports and hosts.