[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Marc A. Runkel" <mrunkel at skyriver dot net>
 To:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] multiple subnets on single LAN interface?
 Date:  Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:14:58 -0800
Hey David,

If I understand this right, all your clients and your servers/equipment are connected in the same
broadcast domain, but are separated by logical IP addressing?  Ie, the devices are plugged into the
same switch, but have different IP ranges?

First, it must be a very interesting story about why this came about, but we'll leave that for a
different day.

Second, one solution is to bring the DHCP lease renewal time as short as possible, wait 1/2 of the
time of whatever your current renewal period is (if it's one week, way 3.5 days), and then change
your DHCP server settings overnight.  DHCP clients attempt to renew at 1/2 their reservation time,
so this method causes all the clients to first get short renewal times and then to get new IP
addresses.  You can also force this by simply having your users reboot their PCs in the morning when
they arrive, I'm 99% certain the DHCP spec requires renewal upon startup.  Surely they're savvy
enough to do that?

If you really want to maintain your existing IP numbering scheme, you need to add a secondary IP to
the monowall interface. NO way to do this through the GUI though.  You'd have to do it with the
/exec.php page.

Or, if you have an extra interface in your monowall, plug it into the same switch and give it the
server's IP range.  Just turn on advanced NAT.  Lacking an extra interface, you can also setup VLANs
(if your switches support that feature) and route between the virtual interfaces.

The monowall (any router) needs to "know" about the equipment's IP network and it needs to know how
to get there.  Note that in any setup where the router gets involved, you are creating a bottleneck
at the router, both in it's CPU's ability to switch the packets and on the total bandwidth of the
router interface.

Lastly, 300+ devices is a lot for any Ethernet subnet.  You might want to plug ethereal into your
network and take a look at your broadcast traffic.  You might want to add the extra interface(s) to
the monowall and split the servers and clients into smaller functional networks with routing in
between.  You need to do some traffic analysis before you implement that.

m.