[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sven Brill <madde at gmx dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] web and mail failover
 Date:  Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:41:12 -0400
koflanagan at satx dot rr dot com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I have two boxes, both running
> as a web and mail server.  Basicly I would need monowall to ping host1
> and if it fails to change it's rules + nat to host2.  When host1 comes
> back on line, have monowall change back over.  Has anyone done any of
> this with monowall before?

m0n0wall neither does failover nor load balancing, but what you describe
could be accomplished with the "Poor Man's Time-Based Rules with
m0n0wall" idea: http://wiki.m0n0.ch/wikka.php?wakka=PoorMansTimeBasedRules

instead of doing something time based, you can have a script ping the
first host in a set interval, i.e. every 10 seconds
ping -i 10 host1

if the response times out, you can fire off a script to change fw and
NAT rules as described above.

Sven