[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Hillel Seltzer" <hseltzer at larich dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Remote commands from WAN to LAN
 Date:  Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:15:02 -0500
Hello,

I am using m0n0wall 1.3b2 as a router for a test LAN segment.
Mostly I use it for the traffic shaper to imitate WAN link speeds.
The test segment is on the LAN side, and the main network is on
the WAN side.  Firewall rules are set to allow all traffic in both
directions, and the "Enable advanced outbound NAT" option is checked
without having any NAT rules defined to allow all traffic.

I am trying to send remote commands via "rsh" from Unix servers
(or "rcmd" from SCO) on the main network to a terminal on the test LAN.
For each server, I can send only one remote command request,
and then any further requests will freeze for several minutes.
This problem is occuring with servers running AIX, SCO, and Linux.

For example, server A on WAN can send a remote command to one terminal
on the LAN, and further remote commands from server A to that terminal
will lock.  In that time server B on the WAN can send one remote
request to the same LAN terminal with no problem, but further remote
commands from server B will then also lock.

I would not think this would be an issue with m0n0wall, except
that the remote commands work without this problem when using
two Cisco 2501 routers connected back to back.

Thanks.
---Hillel