[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David W. Hess <dwhess at banishedsouls dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] question/problem - too many connections?
 Date:  Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:20:41 -0500
I have diagnosed and solved this or a very similar problem for a couple of
online friends but I am not clear how your system is setup.  As you suggested,
in those cases the NAT routers were failing when they ran out of state table
entries which is something I have never seen m0n0wall or pfsense suffer from.

The solution in one case was to switch the DSL/cable modem into bridge mode and
use the external router as the PPPoE endpoint.  They originally had 2 layers of
NAT and the modem was the device failing.  In another case where the DSL/Cable
modem was using DHCP on the WAN interface, updating the firmware solved the
problem.

It is correct that your cable modem is using DHCP on the WAN side and using NAT
to provide a private address on its LAN for m0n0wall which then provides
connections through its own NAT to you and your tenant?  Do you have just one
public IP address or something more?