[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lonnie Abelbeck <lists at lonnie dot abelbeck dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bypass firewall rules for traffic on the same interface
 Date:  Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:40:51 -0500
Thanks to Chris B's encouragement, I have reworked my network to not
rely on the "Bypass firewall rules..." crutch.

Short answer, I moved my OpenVPN server to a new interface where it
is the only host on that interface.  Since there are no other hosts
(other than the gateway) to access, there is no subnet-1 (OpenVPN
virtual subnet) to subnet-2 (interface subnet) access.  All routes
include a pass through two DIFFERENT interfaces on the m0n0wall.

I used an HP Procurve 1800-8G switch with my net4801, to create a
VLAN trunk on the sis2 ethernet port.  This is my first experience
with vlans... now I have four vlans isolating my asterisk/SIP phones,
wifi wireless, openvpn server, and switch management.  Defining the
vlans on the Procurve was very straightforward with its web interface.

m0n0wall continues to impress me... truly a rock solid tool.

Lonnie