[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Graham Allan <allan at physics dot umn dot edu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Need to make a m0n0wall disappear
 Date:  Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:22:07 -0500
On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 12:53:34AM -0500, Lee Sharp wrote:
> Ron Carter wrote:
> >My wife has requested that our M0n0Wall box disappear.  She states
> > that it is in the way.  And is a hazard to the 14 month old whom is
> > just startingt to walk.  Has anyone got any suggestions on a small
> > foot print case that I could use or a suggestion on how to take a
> > old giga pro system board and turn it in something small.  I have 4
> > interfaces now but can down size to two it need be.
>
> I love the Via EPIA systems.
>
> System board    $115
> http://www.directron.com/epia800.html
> Memory 128mb    $16
> Additional NIC    $5 (Duel or quad port possible)
> Small Case    $65
> http://www.directron.com/2699r.html
> IDE Flash Drive    $18
> http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS32MDOM40V
> Total $219

Along the same lines, a couple of other possibilities:

MSI system based on VIA C7, $179:
  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167012

  Gives you much the same as the EPIA above - add memory and extra NIC.
  It's a pretty nice box.

  Incidentally, there's also an ASUS system based on VIA C3 at $75,
  which I'm sure would also be a great m0n0wall box, but it's not small
  form factor.
  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110056

Thin client terminal from Devon IT:
  http://www.devonit.com/terminals/terminals_models_features.php
  Starting at $149, including flash memory. Based on VIA C3. The one
  I've seen has a PCI slot to add an extra NIC.

Graham