[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Pete Klein <petek1827 at yahoo dot com>
 To:  "Holmes, Robert" <Robert dot Holmes at agilysys dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Radius & PPTP
 Date:  Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:24:17 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Robert,

I found the following old post of someone having a
similar problem

http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=373604

This post doesn't solve our problem but I notice that
the writer had one type of error message (rec'd
unexpected protocol...) when his client was set to 40
bit encryption and a different one when the client was
set to 128 bit.

I'm using the 98se client for testing which is only 40
bit.  I am assuming since you are using XP that it is
set by default to 128 bits, however could you confirm
this?  Also could you experiment with different
settings to see if there is any change?  I'm wondering
if the "Require 128-bit encryption" setting is being
enable on monowall even if it is not set.

I also found this post on the pfsense site:

http://cvstrac.pfsense.com/tktview?tn=288

I don't think this is the same problem but they might
be related.

I also checked the MPD documentation

http://mpd.sourceforge.net/doc/mpd.html

and they say the following in their troubleshooting
section

----
Packets won't flow.

    Make sure you have set gateway_enable="YES" in
/etc/rc.conf, otherwise your FreeBSD box will not
route packets. Alternately, invoke sysctl -w
net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 for immediate effect.

    Also, check your firewall settings. Mpd will
create new interfaces which may need to be
incorporated into your firewall rules. If you're doing
PPTP, you need to allow TCP port 1723 and IP protocol
47 (GRE).
----

Since everything seems to work if Radius is disable I
don't think any of this applies.  However it is
possible that mononwall is changing something behind
the scenes.

For the record I have the following set in the
Firewall:NAT:Inbound section.

WAN 	TCP 	1723 	192.168.81.1 	1723

Has anyone on this mailing list ever successfully set
up pptp to use a Radius Server???

--- "Holmes, Robert" <Robert dot Holmes at agilysys dot com>
wrote:

> My settings, platform and problems are the same as
> yours Pete.  I have a
> WRAP, but I also tried it on a CDROM image under
> Vmware. I won't post
> the log because its identical.  Yes, I can ping
> myself, but no one else.
> I'll just confirm the same issue as you.
>
> I tried pfSense thinking that maybe FreeBSD 6 would
> fix it, but the devs
> over there said they just sync the code from
> m0n0wall.  I am using a
> Windows PPTP client under XP.  The same settings
> work to a Microsoft
> PPTP server as well as m0n0wall with a local user
> list, so it is
> something inherent in the Radius settings preventing
> it from working.
>
> Can anyone else also confirm this problem?
>
> -Robert

Need Mail bonding?