[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ignacio Verona" <iverona at estudio dash verona dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Misunderstanding the QoS feature in m0n0
 Date:  Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:51:13 +0100
Hi all,

I'm not 100% sure about the conception I've of the QoS feature in
m0n0. What I've seen is that a number of "pipes" of a specific
bandwidth are defined, and some traffic is set to share that pipes,
true?

For example. Let's say I've a DSL connection, 1Mb download, 512
upload. What I ideally would want to have is QoS for VoIP (I've a PBX
in my network). So I want VoIP to always have priority in the network.
But I do not want to "waste" bandwidth. For what I understand, the
"pipe" is always reserved, and if VoIP is not being used, other
traffic will not be able to use all the available bandwidth.

Sorry if the explanation is a little confusing... What I mean is: Is
for example my p2p client able to use all the available bandwidth (if
no VoIP connection is alive), and in the moment that a VoIP call is
being started "prioritize" the VoIP packets, so they arrive on time?

Thank you very much.