[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jimmy Gelhaar <jgelhaar at mac dot com>
 To:  Ignacio Verona <iverona at estudio dash verona dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] "Installing" mono
 Date:  Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:23:50 -0600
These are all free options that I'm describing:

You could install VMWare Server on a Linux Box (I prefer Ubuntu), run
the VMWare converter tool on your existing Asterisk System (However,
I think the converter only runs on Windows installs) to create a new
virtual image of your existing system, copy it to your new Ubuntu/
VMWare system, start it up.  Done.  (Will depend on if you can get
support for any third party hardware, however, but it's doable)

Then, create a new image in VMWare Server to install and run your
M0n0wall firewall router.  There is a tutorial out there on how to do
this.  I don't have the link in front of me.

Viola...

FYI - VMWare virtual machines run a bit slower on the same hardware
if the OS was installed directly on top, however, with the backup
ramifications and disaster recovery options with VMWare, it's a great
trade off.

i.e. - Backup your VMWare image to an external device and if your
system crashes, just boot a new VMServer to your backed up VMware
images.

Converter:
http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

Just for clarification, I ran the converter tool on a Windows 2000
Advanced Server.  The converter ran about 2 hours.  I copied the
image over to my VM box, and started it up.

Jimmy

p.s. - I need to look into Trixbox.  Sounds interesting.

On Mar 20, 2007, at 12:10 PM, Ignacio Verona wrote:

VMWare server:

Hi,

I've an already installed Asterisk system (using Trixbox by the way)
and would like that machine to act as a basic router, with two nic
cards. I'd like the machine to perform basic NAT, port forwarding and,
the most important, QoS.

So, is there any way to install something like m0n0 on an already
installed system? Or do you know any other simple wrap to iptables,
with a web gui, and the things that m0n0 offers?

Thanks a lot,
Ignacio.