[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Boot error on Soekris 4501
 Date:  Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:25:24 +0000
Hi,

<troels at maansson dot com> writes
>Hi everyone,
>
>I've been trying to boot m0n0wall on a Soekris 4501 from a Compact
>Flash card.
>
>I've tried copying the image onto the CF card using both gunzip/dd on
>linux and physdiskwrite on Windows XP assuming that the problem was
>here.
>
>But by accident I rebooted my computer (configured to boot from USB
>device) and it ended up booting FreeBSD from the CF card placed in my
>USB cardwriter.
>
>I've tried 4 different CF cards (16M, 128M, 2x256M), older, new and
>beta version of the m0n0wall image, upgrading the BIOS of the Soekris
>unit to the newest version.
>
>I've tried looking in the archives for a solution but did not find one.
>

>What am I doing wrong?

OK, I don't have a Soekris but I can ask some obvious questions:

o What version of m0n0wall?

o You are using the correct Soekris image?  I thought the Soekris images
had a serial console configured so I wouldn't expect to see any output
on a PC with a monitor.

o Have you attached a terminal to the serial port to check on the boot
process?

                                Neil.