[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Austin Montford" <AMontfor at gwm dot sc dot edu>
 To:  "Roberto Greiner" <mrgreiner at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: Upgrade Crash
 Date:  Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:43:50 -0400
Upgrading from 1.23 to 1.3b2 here I had to be local to rebuild the
m0n0wall from backup, but from 1.22 to 1.23 it went fine.  I guess it
depends on how badly you need the upgrade, but I prefer to be local in
case of problems.

Maybe I'm bad luck but upgrading anything from m0n0wall to cisco ios
for me has the occasional problem I need to be local for.

>>> Roberto Greiner <mrgreiner at gmail dot com> 3/21/2007 3:44 PM >>>
Hi,

did someone have problems upgrading from 1.22 to 1.23?

I did the upgrade on my production server, but when rebooted it
complained it could find the XUL file, and froze the boot.

Since I need the server up FAST, I couldn't afford to really document
properly the problem.

Strange thing is that to verify to problem (there are a couple of
other
server I need to upgrade later), I installed the 1.22 image in a test
server, uploaded the config file, and proceeded with the upgrade
process. I worked flawlessly.

Confused, I tried the same thing with another machine I have which is
identical to my production server that crashed during the upgrade
(512MB
Ram, P4 Xeon 2.66GHz, 80GB SATA disk, 1 onboard 1Gbps Intel ethernet,
1
offboard Realtek 8139 ethernet), and no problem at all.

The differences I found between the production server and the second
test server were the uptime and system load of about 100 concurrent
users in the production server.

The system is upgraded so it's not big problem, but the other systems
need to upgrade are remote (unlike that original one), so another
upgrade problem would be quite hard to recover.

Did anyone else see anything like that?

Thank you very much,

Marcos Roberto Greiner

                Marcos Roberto Greiner

   Os otimistas acham que estamos no melhor dos mundos
    Os pessimistas tem medo de que isto seja verdade
                                       Murphy