[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Boot error on Soekris 4501
 Date:  Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:34:27 -0400
<snip>

> 3. has anybody used external flashcard writers to write the cards on a
> linux based system? And which? Maybe it's the "writer" that causes the
> problem...

All kinds of people use external CF writers to write cards on Linux.
I've never heard of any problems when it's done right. But I also
don't think I've ever heard of anybody using the CF slot on a printer.
I'm not familiar with how those work vs. the normal CF writers the
rest of us use, that might be a problem.

I don't know the answer to most of your comments, but the only time
I've ever seen or heard of read errors on Soekris boards are from
writing it wrong, like using /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda, or a CF
card that the Soekris boards just don't like. They're pickier than
most external card writers, cameras, and other devices that use CF.
Use a good quality card like a Sandisk and that shouldn't be an issue.
They have all kinds of problems with cheap and no-name CF cards.

-Chris