[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Upgrade Crash
 Date:  Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:20:09 -0400
On 3/22/07, Austin Montford <AMontfor at gwm dot sc dot edu> wrote:
> Upgrading from 1.23 to 1.3b2 here I had to be local to rebuild the
> m0n0wall from backup, but from 1.22 to 1.23 it went fine.  I guess it
> depends on how badly you need the upgrade, but I prefer to be local in
> case of problems.

I've only upgraded a couple machines from 1.22 to 1.23 (I take the 'if
it ain't broke don't fix it' approach, there's no reason to upgrade
the majority of my installs at this time), but from 50+ past upgrades
from 1.0 through 1.23, the majority of which I do from 10+ miles away,
I've never, ever had a machine not come right back up after an
upgrade.

Changing from 1.2x to 1.3x is much more likely to cause problems since
you're jumping two major OS versions and there are substantial changes
throughout. New drivers or other hardware issues are likely causes of
problems. There may be reasons it can happen staying within the 1.2x
releases, but I haven't seen it myself.

-Chris