[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brian McEntire" <brian dot mcentire at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Prioritizing VOIP with Traffic Shaper
 Date:  Sun, 25 Mar 2007 03:48:23 -0400
Hi -
Searched the list archives and read some on this topic but have more questions.

I have a m0n0wall setup with two VOIP adapters on a DMZ (OPT1). Other
things on the DMZ are laptops via a wireless access point (connected
to m0n0 via the wireless access point's built in wired hub.)

VOIP has worked great for me except when uploading large files. I've
also seen websurfing crawl to a halt when uploading large files.
Problems with slow page loads and even resolving DNS names.

I have a cable connection with 5500 kpbs down and 350 kpbs up (measured).

My first thought was just to prioritize all traffic on OPT1 higher
than traffic on the LAN crossing m0n0 to give VOIP to priority. But
this doesn't solve the DNS and websurfing slowdowns seen on LAN
connected computers when the main computer on the LAN is uploading
large files.

Decided to give the magic shaper wizard a try. Question is, do the
defaults do enough to tune VOIP for the large file upload degradation
case?

Noticed the wizzard created rules for TCP Ack Upload and Small Pkt
Upload. Would VOIP packets fall into the Small Pkt Upload category?
I'm using SunRocket and VoicePulse VOIP services which both provide
VOIP terminators (one is a Sipura2002).

I have also assigned static DHCP addresses to the VOIP adapters off
the OPT1 interface. Could probably prioritize traffic by these IPs but
don't know how and trying to keep this as simple as possible while
still solving the VOIP and large FTP congestion.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions,
Brian