[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adam Armstrong" <lists at memetic dot org>
 To:  "'Brian McEntire'" <brian dot mcentire at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Prioritizing VOIP with Traffic Shaper
 Date:  Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:05:32 +0100
Hi Brian,

Doing QoS for voice is quite tricky sometimes, and usually uses more complex
techniques than we can employ with m0n0wall.

If you want to ensure that your voice traffic will always work perfectly,
you could just reserve enough bandwidth for a voice call or two.

Create the traffic shaping rules with the wizard, but tell it you have less
bandwidth than you actually have (5000Kbps down / 300 kbps up?). Then create
two new pipes, one for each direction using the bandwidth you've 'reserved'.
You can then create rules directing the voice traffic down those pipes by IP
address, port, etc.

We use this method (and a number of other kludges) to keep our voice
customers quiet :)

You could also just create some new rules which put voice packets into the
same type of queues as acks. Voice packets should get 'cut-through'
priority, where they bypass all queues and are sent immediately.

Thanks,
Adam.