[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jetpress dot com>
 To:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  ZeroIP bridging to WAN interface?
 Date:  Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:07:44 -0000
Maybe I am being too clever for my own good, but heres the problem.

I am in the lucky position of having a /29 public subnet allocated from my
ISP in addition to a single (/32) ip address for the WAN side of a router.

Using an ADSL router with a Globespan Virata firmware, I have been
attempting to pass the single WAN ip address to the WAN interface of
m0n0wall using a ZeroIP bridge configuration on the router.

Everthing works fine when I connect a Win2k pro machine directly to the
router. DHCP on the router correctly assigns the WAN ip to the PC's nic with
a seperate gateway ip and 255.255.255.255 subnet mask. The PC can correctly
access the internet.

However when DHCP allocates the WAN ip to m0n0wall the gateway address is
also set to the WAN ip address and no packets are routed to the internet.
The following get entered to the system log:

Feb 6 22:21:27 /kernel: arplookup xx.x.xxx.xx failed: host is not on local
network
Feb 6 22:21:27 /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 81.2.106.36rt
Feb 6 22:21:47 /kernel: arplookup xx.x.xxx.xx  failed: host is not on local
network
Feb 6 22:21:47 /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 81.2.106.36rt

I have had a quick google and most information suggests this is down to the
physical network problem or poor subneting. Can anybody offer any help or
further explanation of what is happening?

I know I could route the /29 subnet to the WAN interface of the m0n0wall and
then bridge two interfaces, but wouldn't I be losing an uasable IP address
in the process over bridging as above?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

JET PRESS LIMITED
Nunn Close
Huthwaite
Nottinghamshire
NG17 2HW
UK

Web:	www.jetpress.com
Tel:	+44-1623-551 800
Fax: 	+44-1623-551 175

Confidentiality Notice
This message and its contents are confidential.  The contents are solely for the attention of the
recipient(s) named above and any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution is forbidden.  If
you are not the recipient named above, please contact the sender immediately and destroy this
message.  The views expressed in this message are those of the sender and not necessarily those of
JET PRESS LIMITED.