[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Netgear FVS318 and a few killer features that we could use in M0n0wall
 Date:  Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:37:19 -0500
I think he was referring to the PPTP, at least that's the way looked to
me. In that case, I already have a customer system that does exactly
this. Uses dynamic dns for VPN clients. You can also limit the VPN
client access based on the firewall rules.

The next section talked about static tunnels, which I think he means the
IPSEC. Since the definition of static tunnels would be both ends have a
static IP address, maybe it wasn't the right terminology for it. I think
he wanted something that would allow dynamic tunnels instead. I have not
tried this myself, so you are saying that instead of using the IP
address of the other remote gateway, you throw in a dns name (like
vpn2.mycorpwebsite.com) and it only resolves the address once? If the IP
of the other end changes, the tunnel would collapse. Would m0n0wall not
try to establish another connection and thus cause another DNS lookup?
Do you mean it looks up the address only once while booted?

I haven't tried any of that myself, but I take it you have and this was
the result?

Thanks for the info,
Michael