[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mtnbkr <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WRAP replacement info
 Date:  Fri, 06 Apr 2007 10:26:53 -0400
Chris Buechler wrote:
> I found out about this a couple weeks ago or so, from an email
> exchange with PC Engines forwarded to the private pfsense developer
> list, but since it wasn't publicly posted I didn't want to be the one
> to "let the cat out of the bag" if it wasn't meant to be available to
> the general public yet.
>
> But somebody else posted it to the pfsense forum today so I won't be
> the first.  :)
>
> specs:
> http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2a.htm
>
> Pricing is supposed to be the same or a little less than the existing
> WRAP boards.
>
> Good news!
>
> -Chris

This IS good news, and not a moment too soon.

Any benchmarks on what type of bandwidth/throughput this thing will be
capable of? The current WRAPS have a 233 MHz AMD Geode SC1100 CPU
w/128MB SDRAM and this new replacement has a 433 or 500 MHz AMD Geode LX
processor w/128 OR 256MB SDRAM

I ask because some of my m0n0-on-WRAP clients are moving up from DSL or
T1 feeds to 5Mbps, 10Mbps, or faster optical Internet links and I would
love to keep the firewall in the small form-factor that it currently is
instead of needing to replace it with a full-size PC or mini-ATX
board/case.

(Can you see I am partial to the tiny, nondescript WRAPS in black cases?)

P.S. If WRAP stands for "Wireless Router Application Platform", I wonder
what ALIX stands for... "Another Little Internet Xtender"?

:)

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity