[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  Paul Rae <paul at impacttrainingsolutions dot co dot uk>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IPSec Site to Site VPN
 Date:  Fri, 06 Apr 2007 11:02:33 -0400
Paul Rae wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Just a simple question (and unfortunately I think I already know the
> answer)...
>
> I have setup site to site vpn's in the past without any problems, these have
> all had static ip's at the end point.
>
> I now have a situation where I need to create a tunnel between two sites,
> and they both have dynamic addresses. Can anyone give me some idea's on how
> I might set this up, I believe for the IPSec tunnel to be setup you need to
> specify the remote gateway IP.
>
> Is it possible to use a hostname instead?
>
> It might be possible for one sight to have a static address, but the second
> site will always have a dynamic address.
>
> Anyone have a work around for this?
>

> Regards,
>
> Paul Rae

The work around is to constantly change the IP address in the config
when they change on you.  You can not use a hostname.  I do exactly
this.  For me it's not so bad.  My ISP doesn't change the IP as long as
you are always connected they always give the same IP over and over.
That is how DHCP is supposed to work.  Some ISPs find it necessary to
change the IPs each time.  If you have one of those I feel for you.

Chris