[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Joe Lagreca" <lagreca at gmail dot com>
 To:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic shaper limits?
 Date:  Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:23:06 -0700
I just checked my Pipes, they are 11400 and 691, which is bigger than
what I'm getting.

I'm starting to think that the processor in my m0n0wall combined with
the traffic shaper, just can't handle the throughput.  I guess the
real test would be to use different, more powerful hardware, and see
if the speed increases with the traffic shaper turned on.

Thanks for the info.

Joe

On 4/16/07, David Burgess <apt dot get at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On 4/16/07, Joe Lagreca <lagreca at gmail dot com> wrote:
> > I am running the latest stable m0n0wall on a Nokia IP110.
> >
> > Before I turn magic shaper on, I can consistently get 10112kb/s down
> > and 556kb/s up.  However when I turn the magic shaper on my speed
> > drops to 7970kb/s down and 478kb/s up.
> >
> > I have the magic shaper downstream speed set to 12000kbps and 768kbps
> > up.  When I run the speed test with the traffic shaper turned on, my
> > CPU usage goes to 70%, so it doesnt appear that I am being limited by
> > CPU speed.
> >
> > I am using speedtest.net and they seem quite consistent.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong, or is this just how the traffic shaper is
> > supposed to work?
>

> Theoretically your speedtest should not suffer from shaping if it is
> done right. I don't know of any 'quirk' in FreeBSD or m0n0wall that
> would dictate otherwise.
>
> Check your pipes, as the wizard makes these smaller than the setting
> you entered in the wizard setup. Once the wizard has run you can try
> manually increasing the size of the pipes. Go too big on your upload
> pipe though and latency will increase and your download speed will
> suffer as a result. Play with these values and find a happy medium.
>
> db

Joe LaGreca
Founder & Owner, BIGnet Online
619-393-1733 Office