[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  JP Vossen <jp at jpsdomain dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: NIC's compatable with m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:25:50 -0400
> On 4/11/07, Marc Smuts <marc at dynatronics dot co dot za> wrote:
>>
>> I have been using M0n0wall with great success over the last year,
>> however where can i find > a list of NIC's that are supported by
>> M0n0wall,

Perhaps you should search the archives for the NIC you have in mind, and
also ask this list.  I did that last week and it worked out well.

You might also check out pfSense which is based on M0n0wall but the
platform is more accessible (i.e. for adding software, which presumably
includes drivers).  I don't know; I prefer the M0n0wall setup and
philosophy.

Chris Buechler wrote:
 > Every NIC supported by FreeBSD is included, and that includes, for
 > Ethernet NIC's, essentially every card ever built. [...]

Overall I'd agree, but I'd qualify the point slightly.  As I noted in a
thread last week or so (referencing a couple of threads from 2004-2005),
ZNYX ZX346Q Quad Port 10/100 cards do NOT play nice with M0n0wall.
Perhaps in theory they are "supported" but in practice they don't
actually work.  Searching the archives for that will find both other
comments to that effect, and a (non-trivial) process for adding the ZNYX
drivers to the image.

As noted, I asked this list what cards work well and then just bought
some cheap.  I will thank the list and summarize/report my findings when
I receive the cards and install them.

HTH,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.