[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <chris at minotaur dot it>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  net4801 routing performance
 Date:  Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:11:21 +0100
Greetings list,

I know there've been many discussions in the past about the routing performance of Soekris boxes,
but wonder if anyone's done any tests with 7 interfaces. I'm not so worried about raw routing
performance between two interfaces, but I am concerned that the thing shouldn't encounter excessive
delay (latency) when routing between multiple interfaces.

Basically, I need to come up with a router (running m0n0 or pfSense - undecided at this stage)
that'll handle 3 independent LANs (3 companies in one building), and 4 ADSL connections. The 4 ADSLs
will *not* be load-balanced - there'll just be some custom routing to make sure that traffic from
company A's phone server goes out via ISP A, B via B, etc. etc., so from a feature-set perspective
it doesn't matter whether it's pfSense or m0n0.

The maximum speed each ADSL's going to hit is 8mbit (and that's unlikely - 5mbit is more realistic)
so raw throughput isn't an issue. There should be no LAN -> LAN routing between the 3 companies'
LANs.

The primary concern here is latency for the phone servers. Oh, one other quick thing - do folks
recommend getting the Soekris-manufactured 4xEthernet PCI card, or is it preferable to get something
like a 4-port Intel Pro/100?

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. The small form factor and lack of moving parts of the
Soekris appeals considerably, but before I can use it, I do need to check it'll be up to the task.

Regards,

Chris
For full contact details visit http://www.minotaur.it/chris.html