[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com>
 To:  chris at minotaur dot it, lists at minotaur dot cc
 Cc:  Lonnie Abelbeck <lists at lonnie dot abelbeck dot com>, m0n0wall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] net4801 routing performance
 Date:  Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:00:51 -0700
VLAN Tagging adds packet overhead.  Since the packets must go through
the CPU, there is no real speed benefit to using VLAN tagged interfaces
versus discrete physical interfaces.  The extra bytes (wow, so many) per
packet and the overhead of processing VLAN tags is fairly minimal today.

If it's very sensitive information, don't trust 802.1Q to segregate your
traffic and use encryption if possible.

That all being said, latency and throughput given the scenario of up to
32mbps from the ADSL side and the same maximum from the LAN side should
have no problem being trunked if the link is 100mbps.  Jitter should not
be a factor.

In terms of computer usage, the additional address space and devices on
the PCI bus for 7 discrete NICs will likely not exceed the internal PCI
bus bandwidth on a 4801.  While there is overhead associated with both,
I believe that the native tax of additional PCI devices is not going to
hamper things here.

In other words, for the best packet performance and lowest latency,
discrete NICs should be used.  However, it tends to become an academic
exercise given the capabilities of even low cost goods these days, such
that 100mbps of VLAN tagging is the norm to the point where it's expected.

In this scenario, it's probably cheaper to just get an add-on card, as
m0n0wall compatible QFE's can be purchased for $20+ on eBay.

I wouldn't count on having a lot of luck with QoS on a 4801 handling
that much bandwidth (at peak)... which is always when people seem to
notice when things fail...

The largest concern (like how I saved it for the bottom of my post?) is
that m0n0wall doesn't support source routing that I'm aware of.  Is it a
requirement that Customers from LAN A have all of their traffic routed
to Gateway A/(ADSL A) and LAN B have all of their traffic routed to
Gateway B/(ADSL B) ?