[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Paul Taylor" <PaulTaylor at winn dash dixie dot com>
 To:  "Chris Bagnall" <chris at minotaur dot it>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] net4801 routing performance
 Date:  Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:43:12 -0400
Chris,

	I've used Monowall on a Soekris net4801 with 5 ports (using a 2
port card from Soekris) and did do port-to-port routing.  In my case, I
was able to get in the 25-30 Mbit range, if my memory serves correctly,
going NIC to NIC.  That was when the processor in the Soekris pretty
much couldn't handle any more.  You might have

An Intel NIC might take some of the load off the processor and help the
performance from that standpoint, but I can assure you that it won't
work with the stock Monowall image for a Soekris.  I used an Intel 1000
GT card in a Monowall and had to build a special image to get it to
recognize the card.

If you are seriously thinking of going the Intel NIC route, I'd suggest
just getting a low priced PC with an IDE interface and get an IDE->Flash
module so you can get rid of the hard drive as a likely point of
failure.  Someone else here could probably point you to a VIA based
system that would do the job well.  I do have a Monowall that does work
with the Intel 4 port MT series card.  (I think the generic version of
Monowall will work with that card, but I'm using a custom build w/ RAID
and SMP support.)

Paul