[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 scenario
 Date:  Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:10:08 -0400
On 4/28/07, Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Don't see why not, but just in case, let me know if you see any obstacle
> for something like the following to work:

Aside from what krt said, my primary concerns would be:
1) can any PC-based firewall solution provide adequate performance?
You're talking about allowing CIFS, though didn't specifically mention
file server. Depending on the amount of traffic you're wanting to
push, a PC-based solution just may not be fast enough (may be L3
switch or ASIC firewall territory). If you're looking for wire speed
gig throughput on 9 ports simultaneously, you can forget about using
any PC-based solution. If aggregate of a gig or so is adequate, you'll
be fine with PC hardware.

2) adequate hardware sizing for desired throughput, if PC-based
solution is adequate

3) getting 9 physical NIC's detected
sometimes FreeBSD gets unhappy with NIC's sharing IRQ's with other
hardware, which would be inevitable with that many NIC's. VLAN's may
be an easier solution, or possibly the only workable solution.

-Chris