[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 scenario
 Date:  Sun, 29 Apr 2007 21:28:56 -0400
On 4/29/07, Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com> wrote:

> I'm not looking to push wire-speed, since the only "true" 100mbps link
> would be the main network. The other 7 would be remote offices that are
> accessible by a point-to-point link that ends up in the server room as
> an RJ45 ethernet connection (so I don't have to care what the "two tin
> cans and a piece of string" look like on the service provider's side) -
> and the top speed on any one of them is 2mbps.

Ah, that's not bad at all then. With that many interfaces, I would
still make sure you have a 500 MHz machine minimum.

> What good 4-port nics would be recommendable?

Lots of discussion on this in the past, and several models people are
successfully using.
http://www.google.com/search?q=quad+port+nic+site%3Am0n0.ch

Only one I've personally used is the quad Intel Pro/1000 cards, which
is overkill for your situation as you can probably find something a
lot cheaper.

You may need to split this off into two installs, if you can't get 9
ports detected and working on one box. Given your setup, that should
be easy.

-Chris