[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mark Ryan <markryan at cfl dot rr dot com>
 To:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  traffic shaper help
 Date:  Thu, 03 May 2007 21:41:40 -0400
I run a ftp server from my home server on a cable modem.  Currently i'm
using a WRAP with monowall 1.23.  I have traffic shaping working quite
well however I still notice some lagginess when the ftp server is
sending at max speed.  I notice the lag on web surfing.  Basically i
have the ftp traffic tagged as hated traffic, dns and small packets ate
prio 1 and ack as prio 3, and everything else as bulk.

So it seems that web surfing is still being affected somewhat, but not a
whole lot.

I have the pipe limit set to 110KB for the upload on my 10mbit / 1mbit
cable connection.  So its sufficiently lower than the max.

My question is, is there a way to improver the browser response?
Perhaps is there a way to have 2 pipes?  With the ftp on 1 pipe and
everything else on the other pipe?  With the everything else pipe having
strict priority over the ftp?

I dont care if the ftp slows down, i want maximum responsiveness for web
surfing.

Thanks,
Mark