[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] traffic shaper help
 Date:  Thu, 3 May 2007 22:19:59 -0600
On 5/3/07, Mark Ryan <markryan at cfl dot rr dot com> wrote:

> I run a ftp server from my home server on a cable modem.  Currently i'm
> using a WRAP with monowall 1.23.  I have traffic shaping working quite
> well however I still notice some lagginess when the ftp server is
> sending at max speed.  I notice the lag on web surfing.  Basically i
> have the ftp traffic tagged as hated traffic, dns and small packets ate
> prio 1 and ack as prio 3, and everything else as bulk.
>
> So it seems that web surfing is still being affected somewhat, but not a
> whole lot.
>
> I have the pipe limit set to 110KB for the upload on my 10mbit / 1mbit
> cable connection.  So its sufficiently lower than the max.
>
> My question is, is there a way to improver the browser response?
> Perhaps is there a way to have 2 pipes?  With the ftp on 1 pipe and
> everything else on the other pipe?  With the everything else pipe having
> strict priority over the ftp?
>
> I dont care if the ftp slows down, i want maximum responsiveness for web
> surfing.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

You're using the magic shaper wizard as a starting point by the sounds of
it. I'll make the assumption that you're using a single pipe for your upload
traffic.

By queuing all your traffic through a single pipe, as the wizard does, any
queue can "borrow" bandwidth from any other queue. In other words, your
lowest-priority ftp packets can fill the whole pipe if there is nothing else
being uploaded through the router in question. As soon as a higher-priority
packet enters the pipe, it will be 'bumped' up in line, but it still has to
wait for whatever packet is in the process of being sent at that instant,
and ftp and p2p packets can be quite large, hence the lag you observed in
surfing (the ack packets have to wait for these bigger ftp packets to clear
the pipe).

If you decide to make 2 upload pipes, say 80KB for the first pipe, and send
only ftp through it, then your ftp uploads will never exceed that value and
your ack packets (for web surfing, etc) should enjoy much better
responsiveness, as they have 35KB of reserved bandwidth just waiting for
them.

Size your 2 pipes judiciously according to your needs. If you habitually
upload large files such as email attachments, web content, or scp transfers,
then you should consider queuing these into the 'bulk' pipe along with the
ftp traffic. If you're into gaming, which requires
low-latency/high-bandwidth upstream, then you'll want to keep your non-bulk
pipe fairly big at the cost of slower bulk traffic all the time.

On the other hand, if you're mostly just surfing and sending the odd email,
then go ahead and give your bulk pipe a bigger share. You may need more than
a few KB/s of upload bandwidth for this type of usage.

Good luck.

db