[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>, "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive Portal While Service Unavailable
 Date:  Sun, 6 May 2007 16:51:36 -0600
>>> Hey everyone, we run a WiSP behind our main m0n0wall.  When our fiber
>>> provider has
>>> issues (like for 12 hours this morning) we can get hundreds of calls
>>> about service being
>>> unavailable.  Since I have never used the Captive Portal I thought I
>>> would ask if it is
>>> possible to turn it on (manually) when our service goes down and have a
>>> page that lets
>>> everyone know what's going on.
>>>

>> Yes, but...
>>

>>> Looking at the Captive Portal page it asks for the Interface to run it
>>> on.  I use a different
>>> VLAN for each POP that we have (14 in total right now) so I'm not sure
>>> where to go from
>>> there.
>>>

>> You can only run CP on one interface at a time. In this case, can you
>> do it on a box upstream from this one you're talking about?
>
> So.... possibly stick another m0n0wall as a filtered bridge in-between the
> main m0n0 and the trunk to the network?

Or better yet, I think I could set up a m0n0wall outside the main one that
will simulate our ISP gateway - that way I should be able to turn on the
Captive Portal on that inside interface and have all requests that exit the
edge m0n0 redirected to the Captive page.

I'm going to do some work and testing on this during this week.

Thanks Chris.

Aaron