[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive Portal While Service Unavailable
 Date:  Sun, 6 May 2007 18:58:30 -0400
On 5/6/07, Aaron Cherman <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca> wrote:

> Or better yet, I think I could set up a m0n0wall outside the main one that
> will simulate our ISP gateway - that way I should be able to turn on the
> Captive Portal on that inside interface and have all requests that exit the
> edge m0n0 redirected to the Captive page.

You can't run CP on a bridged interface IIRC, but this solution seems
like the best option to me. Drop in something upstream from the m0n0
you mentioned previously as its new default gateway and enable CP
there. Then upload a page for the CP that doesn't have a box to click
Next to continue or whatever, and everyone will be stuck viewing that
page and only that page.

You may have an issue in that if DNS is broken for your clients, when
they try to go to whatever site they're trying to get to, DNS
resolution will fail so the browser won't even attempt a HTTP request.
The HTTP request will have to be attempted for CP to work, so this may
not work very well.

-Chris