[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive Portal While Service Unavailable
 Date:  Sun, 6 May 2007 17:02:27 -0600
>> Or better yet, I think I could set up a m0n0wall outside the main one
>> that
>> will simulate our ISP gateway - that way I should be able to turn on the
>> Captive Portal on that inside interface and have all requests that exit
>> the
>> edge m0n0 redirected to the Captive page.
>>

> You can't run CP on a bridged interface IIRC, but this solution seems
> like the best option to me. Drop in something upstream from the m0n0
> you mentioned previously as its new default gateway and enable CP
> there. Then upload a page for the CP that doesn't have a box to click
> Next to continue or whatever, and everyone will be stuck viewing that
> page and only that page.
>
> You may have an issue in that if DNS is broken for your clients, when
> they try to go to whatever site they're trying to get to, DNS
> resolution will fail so the browser won't even attempt a HTTP request.
> The HTTP request will have to be attempted for CP to work, so this may
> not work very well.

Yah, I never thought about the DNS issue.  I could do some possible work
with a DNS redirect through my backup DSL connection.  I'll do some testing
and let you know.  It may turn out that it could be more work than is
worthwhile depending how long the outage is.

Thanks again for your input.  Much appreciated.

Aaron