[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] PPTP with W2K3 IAS as radius server
 Date:  Wed, 9 May 2007 09:09:58 -0500
Christopher M. Iarocci wrote:
> James W. McKeand wrote:
>> Christopher M. Iarocci wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone get this to work?  I followed Michael Idema's directions to
>>> the letter and I always get this error:
>>>
>>> RADIUS: RadiusSendRequest: rad_send_request failed No valid RADIUS
>>>
>>> The log of the radius server shows nothing at all.  If I forward the
>>> PPTP requests to the W2K3 server I get in fine.  If I simply try and
>>> use it as the radius, nothing.  Does PPTP with radius
>>> authentication work in
>>> 1.3b2?
>>>

>> I have had mixed success with PPTP on m0n0wall with MS IAS for
>> authentication in the stable version. I have a couple of clients with
>> W2K networks and they work fine. My SBS2K3 works, but my wife's
>> office with SBS2K3 does not (I had to forward PPTP requests to the
>> SBS). I also followed Michael's method in all locations.
>>
>> I would make sure the IAS and m0n0wall are on the same subnet. Double
>> check the IP's and Shared Secret (fat fingers do horrible things).
>>
>> _________________________________
>> James W. McKeand
>>
> James,
>
> Thanks for the input.  My IAS server and m0n0wall are on the same
> subnet, and I've retyped the shared secret a million times (maybe a
> slight exaggeration).  What gets me is there are absolutely NO log
> entries in IAS when trying to go through m0n0wall, but when I connect
> directly all works fine, including logs.  I would think IAS would log
> SOMETHING if there are connection attempts to it from m0n0.  I am
> using
> 1.3B2.  I'm thinking I should report it in the bug section of the
> forum.
>
> Chris

I have noticed that IAS only logs "Successful connections" in the system
event log. This gives a quick time/date stamp on who is connecting...

The default setting for IAS logging is "none". In the IAS console you
can set the local logging you can log the "Accounting Requests",
"Authentication Requests" and "Periodic Status" (all are off by
default). The Log is saved in windows/system32/logfiles. The log files
can be in IAS format or Database compatible (what ever that means...)

Maybe turning any/all of these on will shed some light on the issue...

James W. McKeand