[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  How are DNS Server Addresses Treated?
 Date:  Mon, 14 May 2007 20:51:00 -0600
Okay, this is further to my project of having a web page show up for our WiSP customers in the event
that our incoming fiber goes down - see "Captive Portal While Service Unavailable".

I have found a software app (www.dnsredirector.com) that has the ability to redirect requests as per
defined rules.  This could work if m0n0wall can't see it's primary DNS servers and then looks to
this server.  My question is how does m0n0wall deal with the DNS server list.  Does it always look
for the first entry first, then second entry second, and so on?  Could I enter this server's address
as the fourth in config.xml?  And what is the timeout before moving on?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Aaron