[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hal Vaughan <hal at thresholddigital dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using Hostnames Instead of IP Addresses in Forwarding
 Date:  Sun, 20 May 2007 16:05:51 -0400
On Sunday 20 May 2007, Philippe Lamalice wrote:
> You can add a DNS mapping to the DNS server. This will allow you to
> use DHCP on your client but still have a fixed address for that
> interface.

Okay, I Googled and didn't get a good answer, except for hits on reverse
DNS mapping.  Is there another name for this, is it something so
obvious that a self taught person must have missed it, or could you
give me a quick summary?

My best guess is that I can set the DNS to always take a certain address
and redirect it to a specific system no matter what address the DHCP
has given that system?

And since you're suggesting this, does that mean m0n0wall can't use host
names?

Hal