[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hal Vaughan <hal at thresholddigital dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using Hostnames Instead of IP Addresses in Forwarding
 Date:  Sun, 20 May 2007 19:48:10 -0400
On Sunday 20 May 2007, Chris Buechler wrote:
> On 5/20/07, Hal Vaughan <hal at thresholddigital dot com> wrote:
> > My best guess is that I can set the DNS to always take a certain
> > address and redirect it to a specific system no matter what address
> > the DHCP has given that system?
>
> No, you would configure DHCP so it always gives that particular
> system the same IP.

Okay.  Gotcha.  As you can tell, I am not an expert at DNS stuff!

I am considering specifying static addresses for the firewall/gateway
and DNS only.  Then when I have to use a tunnel from outside, have it
go to the DNS computer which would forward it.  I might do that with
the workstation instead.  I like the idea of only one system,
preferably one without important data, being reachable from the outside
and then being used as a relay.  I don't know if that makes much of a
difference, though.

> > And since you're suggesting this, does that mean m0n0wall can't use
> > host names?
>
> That's correct.

Any particular reason for that?  (Just curious.)

Thanks!

Hal